Monday, June 4, 2012

Homemade Kindle Cover



I bought Eddie a Kindle Touch for Christmas last December. I wanted him to have a cover for it, but I didn't really have the extra $20 or $30 to spend on one nor did I think he would like one of the fancy covers. Plus I knew that one thing Eddie didn't like about Kindles is that you don't have the feel of holding a book. So I decided to make him a cover out of a book. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures from start to finish. But I have some of the finalized product. I think it turned out awesome!
 
I started with this little book that I got at a second hand store for about $1. I pre-measured it to make sure it would be the right size for his Kindle. Then I used a knife to take out the pages of the book leaving just the outer cover.
 I cut two slits in the back for an elastic strap, pulled the strap through the back cover and glued them to the inside.



I cut and sewed a piece of fabric to the size of the back and binding and then sewed elastic straps to the fabric. After the elastic straps were sewn on, I then glued the whole piece onto the inside of the back cover. For the inside of the front cover I glued a piece of felt to help keep the screen from getting scratched.








And there it is! Now Eddie can have the feel of holding a book and it offers plenty of protection for the Kindle.





1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I use to have a Kindle before I got my iPhone, and always wanted a cover, but never thought to make one. And making it from an old book cover is awesome, because I agree with Eddie, I miss the feel of a book when reading an ebook.

    ReplyDelete