Monday, July 9, 2012

Cheaper Starbucks

There aren't many people that don't like Starbucks. Coffee and a great atmosphere can't easily be passed up. And let's face it, it's everywhere. In a five mile radius from where I live, there are at least 10 Starbucks according to Google Maps. And in fact there is one about 200 yards from my apartment. So, it becomes a great place to read my Bible and hang out with my friends.

But there is a down side to Starbucks (and to almost every coffee shop). It's expensive and we just can't afford a large coffee budget.

There are a few ways around this.

1. Get the house brew. A great option and probably my husbands favorite. Plus if you are a Starbucks Gold member (which we are) you get free refills. This option is also available in an iced version which is nice for the blazing summers here in Phoenix. I surely don't want a hot beverage when it's 108 degrees outside.

2. Get an Americano (espresso and water). One of the cheapest espresso drinks and also available iced.

But what if I want something a little more substantial? Like an iced mocha, which is my favorite. Well, a Grande Iced Mocha at Starbucks is about $4.35 + tax. Those can start to add up fairly quickly with how much I go to coffee shops through out the month.

So, I figured out a way to make my favorite drink cheaper. I just bring my own milk.

Before I head over to Starbuck, I fill a canteen with some milk from home (which I already get on sale at the grocery store for $1.57/gallon most weeks). Then I order 2 shots of espresso, on ice, with 2 pumps mocha in a Venti cup.

And then I add my milk.


Voila! A Venti Iced Mocha.

How much does it cost me??

$2.78

I think that's one awesome deal! Obviously, this only works for iced espresso beverages. 
But I am totally happy with that.



4 comments:

  1. That is so cool, friend. Now I want a tasty beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former barista, it totally works. Just don't be one of "those" customers who do that trick but fill it with milk from the condiment bar. Baristas see it, know what you're doing, and have a generally unpleasant opinion about the practice. But I suppose it's different if you bring your own milk... It would also help to leave a tip... Baristas gripe less behind the counter about "creative" customers who tip...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work at Starbucks. We called the espresso over ice with milk from the bar a "ghetto latte" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that it's wrong to only buy the espresso from Starbucks and then still use their milk to make your latte. That's not cool at all, and I definitely don't endorse that. Pay for what you use.

    ReplyDelete